Re: Old sound tracks

While I was at Magno in New York we used to get a lot of 16mm archival
footage from NBC that had Ektastripe mag on the edge of the film.  They
requested cleaning, but I was always told by the film prep department
that they couldn't clean mag tracks, not because it would necessarily
harm the mag, but because it would contaminate the chemicals and they
would have to flush it out and refill it before being able to run any
film again.  Base on this experience, I wouldn't recommend putting your
old mags in the cleaner.

Phil Voss

DBClrst at aol.com wrote:

> While we're on the subject of old sound materials, I'd like to ask about
> ageing magnetic film that gives off that wonderful vinegar odor. I once heard
> this "vinegar syndrome" referred to as an airborne virus. When opening these
> old cans of mag in the machine room, is there any danger of spreading
> something that can affect other film or sound elements (or people, for that
> matter) that are in close proximity?  Also, on occasion these mag reels can
> be a bit powdery. Is it viable to run them through the film cleaner? I have
> often pondered doing this, but haven't quite had the nerve.
>
> David Bernstein
> The Post Group West
>
> ---
>            Thanks to Lipsner-Smith for support in 1997
>
>       TIG subscriber count is 857 on Fri Sep 26 22:41:49 PDT 1997
>    archives and much more at http://www.alegria.com/telecinehome.html
>      mailinglist digest available.... unsubscribe via a message to
>         'telecine-request at alegria.com' with Subject: unsubscribe

---
           Thanks to Lipsner-Smith for support in 1997

      TIG subscriber count is 855 on Sat Sep 27 11:35:37 PDT 1997