Re: HDTV WHY???

On Sep 27,  9:12, "Neil B. Feldman" wrote:
} Subject: Re: HDTV WHY???

> Even within the amateur radio community I am not aware of any serious
> widespread homebrew television experimentation being accomplished at HDTV
> resolution and frame rates.  (Slow-scan images may be another
> matter).

Being an amateur radio operator myself, I can say that expense is
probably the biggest factor here.  HDTV also requires a ton of
bandwidth, and our frequencies are already under assault.  It's too
bad we don't have the resources to experiment with HDTV; packet radio,
TCP/IP, and other internet protocols were pioneered by hams in the
1970's and 80's.

> I am willing to stick my neck out and suggest that less than 3% of TIG
> subscribers would characterize themselves as "dedicated
> videophiles".
> How about an informal survey, Rob?

Sure Neil.  I'll start it by stating that I am a part-time audiophile
(what musician isn't?) but very definitely not a videophile.  And for
me that is very much because I work in the video industry-- I don't
like taking my work home with me.

--Rob

rob at alegria.com         | "I care not much for a man's religion whose dog or
rob at info.com            |  cat are not the better for it."  --Abraham Lincoln
rob at cloister.org                KB6CUN   http://www.alegria.com

---
           Thanks to Lipsner-Smith for support in 1997

      TIG subscriber count is 855 on Sat Sep 27 09:22:29 PDT 1997