Center Optical Track?

I have a 35mm optical only track that has its optical track in the
center of the film and not on the edge as is normal.  I've never seen
one of these before, and don't really know what to do with it.  Is there
a method of transfer (and a post house) we can use to transfer the
sound?

Also, anyone out there know the history of this type of sound?  If it's
not for archiving purposes, I'm only guessing that it was used in tandem
with an outdated method of transferring audio.  Any thoughts?

You can email me directly concerning transferring the film if you wish
to bean at worldweb.net, otherwise please post a general response.

Thanks,
Anne Masucci

---
        Thanks to Ramzi Shakra and VAS Group for support in 1997
      TIG subscriber count is 858 on Fri Sep 26 13:03:59 PDT 1997