Re: Sony telecine

> Date:          Thu, 18 Sep 1997 11:32:35 -0400 (EDT)
> From:          KA2IQB at aol.com
> To:            telecine at sun.alegria.com
> Subject:       Re: Sony telecine

  This is becuase many people see it
> as nothing more than good old ITU/R-601 digital video with twice as many
> lines, but still carrying the same "baggage" such as interlace and
> undersampled chrominance channels.  But aside from dominating the standards
> debates, if 1125 does take hold and Sony's telecines do manage to convince
> everybody that film looks like garbage on HDTV, then it only means that more
> HDTV video equipment will have to be sold to take the place of film.

	In fact, Sony clearly says that their video cameras are a good
low-cost alternative to film: no expensive telecine sessions,
exchangeable optics, film look set-ups, full progressive capability
etc..., especially for dramas and documentaries. By the way they
promote these products I beleive they would be happy if they could
get rid of film.

	JC
	Colorist

The Moving Picture Company
25 Noel Street
London W1V 3RD

Tel: +44 (0)171 434 3100
http://www.moving-picture.co.uk

---
      TIG subscriber count is 855 on Wed Sep 24 08:18:08 PDT 1997