Re: Sony telecine

On Thu, 18 Sep 1997 02:45:57 -0400, you wrote:
>I asked the big question: if the world market for telecines is 75 machines
>a year, why is Sony getting involved? This is part of a wider market, was
>the reply. Does anyone else feel as I do, that Sony is getting into
>telecine simply as part of its plan for world domination, wanting to be
>able to supply end to end solutions, rather than out of a genuine desire to
>build a better film transfer system. If it really wanted to be in the
>telecine business, it would at least find out what that business is.
>
>Dick Hobbs

Sony has apparently realized what you already know: there is a finite
market for hardware, but a virtually infinite market for facilities rental.

Their intention seems to be not to make a fine machine.  The intention
seems to be to make a machine which they can ship to their various owned
facilities around the world, and then to underbid the local houses (where
most of the subscribers to this list work) on bread-and-butter mid and low
end transfers.

This is the same method they have used with editing, sound, and effects
work (and telecine in L.A).

Once again, when you (all of you) are wandering the equipment halls at IBC
or NAB or wherever, try to keep in mind which manufacturers of hardware are
also in *direct competition* with your facility, and will become stronger
if you buy their hardware.

Bob Kertesz
BlueScreen LLC

The Ultimate in ULTIMATTE compositing

	Thanks to Aaton for support of the TIG
---
      TIG subscriber count is 857 on Thu Sep 18 09:05:58 PDT 1997