Re: Re: CCD vs. Flying Spot

Michael Kay wrote:

>The Cell box?  Perhaps a little quieter, but probably nothing
>dramatically
>close to the S/N capability of a CCD scanner with its Solar light
>source.

The real problem with that solar light source is keeping the mirror aimed
at the sun...  especially in smoggy LA.

Also, your exposure may vary.  A lot.  But that spinning ND wheel will
even it out...

I hear the daVinci people are working on a mod that lets you aim that
solar mirror with a trackball.  You can also send messages in Morse code
with the mirror.

Apparently Sony is hoping to use this solar light source technology in
their new telecine (they claim to already hold many patents on use of the
sun,  which they claim to have either invented or improved upon).

The future looks so bright, you gotta wear, well, sunglasses.

John Snopes
Muncie Indiana
(no insult intended to Sony, Sun Ra, or any other solar diety, like Aton)

+++
	Thanks to Stewart Odell for support of the TIG
---
      TIG subscriber count is 850 on Wed Sep 10 21:36:41 PDT 1997