Diamond foreplay

All,

Back in the days of MKIII's I remember changing rooms or machines was a
major pain in the neck. It seemed then that no two machines were ever alike
in their response curves with even the same piece of film. I guess with all
of the modifications made by generations of telecine engineers, machines of
old were tweaked and modified in ways that will never be documented. As such
I never felt comfortable while away from "my" RANK. Fast forward to the days
of Golds and Diamonds and I still can't put my finger on why I like one
machine better than another. I currently work in a house with three
diamonds, all individuals in their own rights. Recently, I've had to change
rooms for a few days while this machine gets upgraded. Working on a strange
diamond has been a learning curve. But what makes tele two the machine I
like the best? It's not the quietest Cintel in the building, and it has a
whole host of annoying little quirks. But day after day I enjoy making
pictures out of tele two the best.

I relate coaxing a picture out of a given RANK to spending time with the one
you love. After a few dates together, you learn what she likes, how she
likes to be touched, and above all...how to get the best response from her
under social pressure. This time in a dark room together builds a bond with
a Cintel that is really unexplainable. I guess we could talk about how I
like the gamma curves better out of this one, but there are so many
intangible responses that I am so familiar with on tele two, that I can't
put them into words.

Cintel's of today are certainly easier to get along with than MKIII's of
old, but these machines are still a long way from plug and play. They remind
me very much of British automobiles. Fiercely independent, and you better
have spares around.

Have I been in a dark room too long?

Best,

Bob Festa
Bob Festa                                    Festa at pacbell.net
Director of Telecine  			   bfesta at encorevideo.com
Encore Santa Monica    				310 656 7663
702 Arizona Ave. SM, CA 90401	     http://home.pacbell.net/festa
Red Hat Linux...the choice of a GNU generation.

+++
	Thanks to Kat Dalton for support of the TIG
---
      TIG subscriber count is 846 on Sun Sep  7 21:27:09 PDT 1997