Re: Picture stability on FDL 90

Hello Hans,

these problem appears sometimes and also BTS engineers cannot solve
it reliable. As your problem is not in 16 mm, it seems that the
servo has locked correctly (watch corresponding LED in bottom rack).

Has BTS updated your gate sprocket detector? Two refinements have been
done on it: Another sensor behind the sprocket detector with higher resolution
(more increments) and a new sprocket wheel itself.

Also check the axial position of the sprocket wheel. It is adjustable
with spacers that you put between axis and the sprocket wheel to achieve
the right position.

When looking on this also observe the 35 mm film when entering the
gate's film path. Is it running smooth and correct, or is the film forced
to touch the rear edge guide of the gate? It should touch the rear
edge guide, but without bending the film (maybe listen to the edge
guide during turning the capstan by hand). If this is wrong, it can
also be corrected by repositioning the sprocket wheel by inserting or
removing spacers.

Finally check if the 35 mm film is in contact with cover shields
anywhere in the filmpath of the telecine.

2 - 3 lines of vertical picture stability is bad, with 35 mm film you
should achieve +/- 0,3 lines which is +/- 0,05 % of picture height.

If you need more help, you can contact me directly (I'm telecine engineer
at ARRI TV in munich and responsible for our URSAs, but we are running
also FDLs in munich and berlin).

Good luck in troubleshooting,

Stefan
--
Stefan Sedlmeier
Engineering Manager

+++thanks to Bruce Graham of Modern Videofilm for support of the TIG
---
      TIG subscriber count is 845 on Thu Aug 28 22:45:07 PDT 1997