RE: TK Transfer v Compensated Conversion

Let me re-sate my position that Alchemist and similar motion
predictive technologies will degrade the quality of your transfer.
That said, application specific technologies which are designed
for the transfer of film originated 625 material to 525, will do a
great job with no loss in quality.

In the situation which you describe below, a big post budget with
lots of time, perhaps electronically mastering your various versions
makes less sense.  The reality is that any money and time which
can be saved in post, with no sacrifice in quality, will in many
cases be taken advantage of.  While the telecine may take 5 hours,
the job is not done.  Audio re-stripes, dirt clean up and QC of the
various versions all add to the time and the cost.

It's all about saving time and money.

Jeff Dewolde
International Image
Santa Monica