Re: HDTV: CBS and 16mm

I was present at that SMPTE meeting, and as an owner of a pretty good
set of eyes, I was nothing short of blown away by John Dowdell's
presentation. IMHO, anyone who has ever seen film, either 35mm or
16mm transferred to HD and projected will never be satisfied with
film projection again! The images totally cinematic; they were crisp
and sharp. The complete lack of flicker in the HD projected pictures
the marvelous color rendition and saturation made my viewing
experience quite enjoyable....and far superior to anything I have
ever seen in projected film.

Another important point that has yet to be raised is that when
filmmakers start post-producing feature films in HD, DP's will be
able to use the most powerful tool in the post-production arsenal:
the TK suite. As anyone who has ever timed a film can attest, what
was origionally captured on the OCN is basically what you get in the
timed print. It is not possible to make the whites in a given scene
cooler, while making the blacks warmer; something that happens every
day in the TK suite.

Giving the DP of a feature film control over secondary color
correction; the ability to match skin tones in a scene shot over a
number of days in the same location with the same actors will forever
change the way that feature films are made. When DP's and producers
become aware that they could have TOTAL control over the way their
images look, they will demand to use these new tools.

When they realize that the density of a given scene or scenes is
completely malleable, when they realize that it is possible to
re-photograph each and every shot in the TK suite, and have those
lovely images projected with the same clarity and subtlety as when
they were color graded, film makers will run, not walk to the the HD
TK suite.

Just imagine what Alan Daviou, Vilmos Zsigmond, or Stephen Poster
could do with a power window or two!

It just boggles the mind.
Dave Satin
Executive Vice President       212.226.7474/V
Director of Engineering        212.941.0439/F
SMA Video Inc.

100 6th Avenue 10th Floor
New York, N.Y. 10013-1689

---
      TIG subscriber count is 840 on Wed Aug 20 05:58:42 PDT 1997