Re: Is 35mm/HDTV good enough?

I, too, have witnessed ShowScan and can confirm that it really is
fantastic. I believe that it was developed by Douglas Trumbull of 2001
and Bladerunner fame, and in fact runs at 74fps rather than 60. As I
understand it, this rate was determined by monitoring the alpha waves of
subjects whilst they watched film projected at various frame rates.
Apparently, the waves indicate a much higher degree of subject
involvement at rates above 74fps. It may be complete coincidence, but the
frame rate of my Macs monitor is also 74Hz - whether this was arrived at
from looking at the same research is a mystery. The strange thing about
the ShowScan picture is that, owing to this high refresh rate, the
experience seems very familiar to computer users - the picture is very
stable, richly saturated, high in resolution and has minimal grain. Of
course, such a high rate also allows the use of extremely powerful
illumination and this has tremendous impact on the percieved contrast of
the picture. Again, the high rate would also allow a large amount of
supplementary material to be included on the film - so high quality
digital audio (24bit?96Khz?linear?) could potentially be catered for. If
you live in London, like me, and are interested in seeing ShowScan in the
flesh, check out the "Emaginator" ride at the Trocadero in Picadilly
Circus. The ride is short, but the picture quality will give you a lot to
think about!

On Sun, 17 Aug 1997, Jim Lindelien wrote:

> Rob wrote:
>
> >then does your experience, admittedly subjective, make a case that we
> >need never strive for a delivery medium better than 1125/60, because
> >the eye doesn't discern the difference between that and the resolution
> >of projected 35mm film?
>
> Some years ago I had the pleasure of viewing one of ShowScan's demos.
> ShowScan used 65mm film running at 60 frames per second.  It was the most
> impressive film technology I have ever witnessed, with an unrivaled depth,
> richness and reality.  But unfortunately such an expensive process was not
> commercially successful.  I-Max doesn't begin to approach its quality (no
> insult to I-Max intended!).  I conclude we are a long way from saturating
> the eye/brain bandwidth--1125/60 isn't there yet, and I look forward to
> things yet to come.
>
> -Jim

> Real-time and high-performance hardware and software design since 1981
> Jim Lindelien                           (Email to: jiml at timelogic.com)
> Time Logic, Inc., 880 Northwood, Suite 1, Incline Village, NV 89451
> Phone 702-833-0200 x11 Fax 702-833-1222  Web http://www.timelogic.com
>
> ++
> thanks to Phil Kroll of Otti International for support of the TIG in 1997
> ---
>       TIG subscriber count is 843 on Sun Aug 17 10:29:48 PDT 1997
> archives and much more at
>                http://www.alegria.com/telecinehome.html
>      mailinglist digest available.... unsubscribe via a message to
>         'telecine-request at alegria.com' with Subject: unsubscribe

---
      TIG subscriber count is 840 on Tue Aug 19 09:42:00 PDT 1997