RE>Re: RE>Re: URSA IMPROVEMENT

David,
Softening the image prior to the A-D using astig tweaks etc may also have a similar effect but is less controllable. I have heard of people tweaking the URSA CRT packages which is not recommended.
With all things like this there is a subjective side. For example, noise can measure ok yet be subjectively unpleasant to the eye and vice versa. It is the pictures that are important. Noise reducers are another subjectively appraised tool and not qualified on how many db of noise they reduce.
We can argue about the engineering perfect way of removing this side effect but at the end of the day it is pictures that count.
What I am suggesting is that there are controls that are available that do indeed make a great job of reducing this effect and may be overlooked. Not all companies can afford to purchase these third party solutions or want to modify their machines and I am describing a technique which could help a lot of people faced with twinkling images. The aperture corrector is often considered a sharpen tool but the Cintel engineers put a lot more in to it that can be utilised.
Tape to tape grading is a large part of our life these days and no telecine mod for aliasing will fix this, hence the Digital vision solution which also works very very well.
As I said, go ahead and try it ...... compare the difference, you could be surprised!

Cheers
Paul

---
mailinglist digest available
TIG subscriber count is 842 on Tue Aug 12 11:30:42 PDT 1997