Re: Ilford HP5 transfer

>The contrast of these
>leather-'silver'-stains almost seemed ortho on the very negative. My bare eye
>couldn't see through the black layer, unlike for Eastman negatives, where
>everything is light grey, even when overexposed.>>>
>
>My question is this: Does the density of the black layer in HP5 negatives
require
>a higher gain in video transfer, and therefore increase the video noise? Are
>properly exposed HP5 negatives more likely to be noisy than Kodak b&w
>negatives (which are not as dense)?

Kat,

I don't know about the emulsion "toughness" issue, but Ilford is famous for
being generous with silver.  A higher Dmax would require more gain in
telecine, with an increase in noise.  Perhaps you need to run a wedge of
test exposures to see what works best for telecine.  I would be interested
in your results, as I have had some of this film donated to a documentary
project I am working on, but have not shot with it yet.

These stocks are relatively new, and perhaps the EI is not exactly as
published.  Also, is it possible that development times are different than
for Kodak B/W stocks?  I believe this is true of the still film versions of
the comparable emulsions.  Could be a lab issue.

Sam Dlugach
Colorist
EDS Digital Studios LA

+++ thanks to Donna Chapman and Pacific Radio for support of the TIG in 1997