Your industry choice

Thanks for everybody's reply on the wet gate question.

I have another question that can't be answered in such scientific terms.

Film to tape transfer is a new interest for me because I know nothing about
it and therefor it presents a challenge.  If we aren't learning, we aren't
living.  Anyway, I was wondering if any of you would like to regale about how
you got started in the business?  Film to tape is such a niche industry
within the already small television industry I'm curious to know how people
end up here.  Of course, I'm asking this question because down the road I
might like to make a career change.

Any takers?