Re: New to Telecine and your gr

A wet gate is a special gate that passes the film through a sealed unit
that is connected with hoses to a device that fills it with a chemical
that coats the film while it is in the gate, which greatly reduces
visible dirt and scatches.  The chemical is very toxic and breathing a
lot of fumes can be harmful to your health, so a great deal of care must
be taken when using a wet gate.  Labs also use wet gates to make prints
from scratched negatives, though I'm sure they are somewhat different
from telecine wet gates.  These gates are typically used on old,
scratched negatives and prints.  I'm sure there are members of the TIG
that can give you a more technically detailed explanation of wet gates,
but this is pretty good start.

Phil Voss
Blue Water Post