Re: Off Topic: Cable Modems & Comcast at Home

On Fri, 25 Jul 1997 18:43:17 -0400, you wrote:
>A little off the track, but since you brought it up...
>
>Isn't cable modem technology enabled by the fact that the
>CATV systems are asymmetric? In other words, they are good
>at dumping large amounts of data downstream, but the upstream
>capacity is generally pitiful on most installed systems.

You are correct.  A note I got from Jim Mack indicates that the data rates
on his setup are 1.5mbits/sec coming in, but only 300kbits/sec going out.

It is important to keep in mind that this is not a business solution (hence
the  at HOME name), and is meant for the most part to bring pages and files to
the user *much* faster than a normal 28.8 connection will allow for not
much more money than an ISP plus dedicated phone line costs per month
(assuming, of course, that you already have the cable service...).

There is also the issue of security which I didn't mention.  The end user
is essentially hooked up to one big LAN, and if very basic security
measures aren't taken at the local machine, there is the possibility that
all local files etc. will be available to anyone on the service possessing
a minimal amount of technical expertise.

Bob Kertesz
BlueScreen LLC

The Ultimate in ULTIMATTE compositing