RE: Off Topic: Cable Modems & Comcast at Home

A little off the track, but since you brought it up...

Isn't cable modem technology enabled by the fact that the
CATV systems are asymmetric? In other words, they are good
at dumping large amounts of data downstream, but the upstream
capacity is generally pitiful on most installed systems.

This is fine for web browsing, where a few bytes of data from the
user calls for megabytes to be delivered to the home.  But if you
use your PC as a server, it would seem that the upstream capacity
will be severely compromised very quickly and bring the system
to its knees... until the network admins put in "bandwidth limiters"
to limit the upstream data flow.

Or did I misunderstand the comment, and did you mean putting up web
pages on the cable system's servers?

On Fri, 25 Jul 1997 10:55:26 -0400  bob at bluescreen.com wrote:

>Comes in on your standard cable line.  A special splitter is installed in
>the home, and there is a "cable" side and a "data" side at the output...
>
>...which means you can put up an accessible web/ftp server...
>
>Download speeds which I personally verified between 200k and 500k /sec.

Bill Topazio, VP/Engineering     bt at mte.com     v:212-907-1225
Manhattan Transfer / Edit        New York, NY   f:212-687-2719

The combination "ough" can be pronounced in nine different
ways. The following sentence contains them all: "A rough-
coated, dough-faced, thoughtful ploughman strode through the
streets of Scarborough; after falling into a slough, he coughed
and hiccoughed."