Broadcast TV vs Home Theatre.

Watching a sitcom when a commercial comes on, everything is fine. Life is
good. Sitcoms and commercials make for a great marriage.

But when flipping through colorful channels and a deep and dramatic
theatre movie shows up, it's no longer funny. It looks difficult to get into.
Gloomy colors. Indistinct sound. If I do take the time to watch, I might like
it. The gloomy and indistinct make for a deeper understanding of the story.
(Until a commercial comes on and I fall off the sofa)

Now, if I rent that movie, I will take the time, sit down and watch closely.
I can then "take" more variations in audio&video. More like in the theatre.

Dear Colorists,

With great respect do I follow your discussions here. Most often do you
show a serious yet humble approach. You inspire the rest of us to be the
best and never stop learning.

I'm an audio guy, specialized in broadcast, where we sometimes have to
squeeze in wide and dynamic sounds from a concert or movie into the
confined environment of a small speaker, screaming for recognition in a
noisy home. We often have to sacrifice dramatic/artistic depth for clarity.

I assume you meet similar challenges trying to get a dramatic feature into
the broadcast TV screen. (?) Please, if you will, elaborate on how you deal
with the question: Broadcast versus Home Theatre. I'll give you some fuel:

- Broadcast: Do you go bright&colorful? (To match the rest)
- VHS release: Can you allow sad scenes to stay dark? (As the viewer
probably is more concentrated)
- Movie channels on satellite/cable: Same as VHS release?
- Big screen TV's more common today: Does that change your work?
- TV commercials: Do you take into consideration the programming they
most likely will appear within? (To melt in or stand out?)
- Fake home look: Mass duplicated VHS, TV transmitter clipping, tired TV
screens...Do you sometimes monitor through "soiling devices" in order to
compensate for what your signal may have to go through later? (In audio
we do)
- Movie trailer on TV: With only a few seconds to get into a scene, do you
make things "brighter/easier to watch", than if you transfer the whole movie?

Back in Sweden, where I worked many years with all types of broadcasters,
the "old time purists" claimed: "We should stay true to the material."
(Change as little as possible, just deliver) The "new school", said: "Tweak
any way you can to make it work at home, we have to earn our listeners."

Sincerely,

Lars Lundeberg

(P.S.  I like blue.  Could you crank up the blue..?  D.S.)

--
						Lars Lundeberg
						be176 at lafn.org
						(310) 441-1427