Re: Locking Audio in 525

----------
> From: Moli Eng <molieng at compuserve.com>
> To: Telecine Internet Group <telecine at sun.alegria.com>
> Subject: Locking Audio in 525
> Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 06:29:09 -0400
>
> At the risk of sounding a little ignorant.
>
> Is there anybody out there who can fill us in on how audio is generally
> sync'd when working in 525.
>
> Being based in London most of our work is 625 with only the odd 525 job so
> this is somewhat a new problem to us.
>
> The problem we are finding is with matrial shot at 24 FPS with audio and
> timecode on DAT, DA-88 etc.
>
> When our URSA or MKIII are run in 525 mode they don't run at exactly 24
FPS
> but 23.976 instead.
>
> This of course means that the video is now slow with respect to the audio.
>
> What are the different ways of now locking the Audio to the Video.
>
> Thanks
> Sean Crosswell
> Molinare, London
> ---
> mailinglist digest available......posting guidelines on the webpage
> the Telecine Internet Group  <http://www.alegria.com/telecinehome.html>

Sean,

The most common way I have found is that the Audio is recorded at 30 fps and
a pull-down to 29.97ndf is performed to compensate for the 24fps film being
transfered at 23.976fps. I have never used DA-88 for sound, but have had
extensive experience with DAT and Nagra sound in this situation.  Let me
know if I can give you more details or help.

David Feingold
Audio Engineer
Henninger Capitol
Washington DC