Re: Transfers, records and Repeatability.

Hi Steven,

<< Can the correction settings be saved? Can I shot something two weeks
later, and walk into the telecine session and say, I'd like to see The
correction we did two weeks ago first (or bring a record of that correction
with me), and then go from there? Can the individual sessions corrections be
printed out, in terms of what correction
for what footage. >>

Repeatability in telecine transfers depends on a number of factors, the most
important of which are set-up and maintenance.  In most facilities, the first
piece of film on the telecine every morning is some known reference such as a
piece of TAF, or now TEF.  Telecine and color corrector are checked and
adjusted, if necessary, for proper performance.  So from one day to the next,
the same equipment in the hands of the same colorist should produce similar
results within reason.

Proper maintenance assures that long-term drift does not make it impossible
to get back to the same reference as was used previously.  This includes
monitor calibration, telecine and color corrector alignment, and adjustments
to such devices as distribution amplifiers, things whose names end in
"-coder," and scopes.  It is in the nature of analog equipment to drift, so
once upon a time, matching corrections done two weeks before could be a
challenge, even in the same suite!  But most modern digital video equipment
used today either works or not, with no in-between.  Consequently, in
up-to-date telecine suites, drift usually isn't such a big problem any more.

I do not know of anybody who has a printer attached to a color corrector for
printing out a list of corrections that were used; even if such a thing was
done, the information would probably be difficult to relate to film in any
general way.  (This, by the way, is the point of the TKG and similar
products.)  However, all computerized color correctors I've ever seen have
the ability to store corrections on floppy disk for later use.  Having your
previous corrections available is extremely helpful if you need to re-open a
correction session at a later date assuming you work with same colorist and
equipment.

What is most helpful is if the telecine suite has a digital still store that
allows you to take stills of your work on some sort of removable media, such
as a disk or tape.  Most telecine suites have still stores of one type or
another which are normally used for matching scenes during a transfer
session.  In many cases these can also be used for matching scenes weeks,
months, or even years later.  This gives fairly good results, all else being
equal, because you are comparing "known" images (what you had originally) to
what the room is doing now, thereby eliminating a lot of the variables from
the equation.  I suggest the use of removable media just so nobody
inadvertently wipes your stills out of the store.

Christopher Bacon