Telecine to DVCPRO

   I am a filmmaker with a special project.  I want to telecine 16mm film
(shot at 24 fps) to the new digital video format for consumers and
professional videographers.  I will probably use DVCPRO but the other
options are DVC, DVCAM, Digital-S, etc.

   I understand that the DVC codec compression algorithm can detect
movement between fields and if necessary compress each field separately.
Compressing fields separately produces a poorer quality image than
compressing a full frame.

   Unfortunately SMPTE 3/2 pull down will create artificial frames that
look like motion. These artificial frame will not compress well.

   QUESTION: Is there some way to ask the telecine operator to turn off
3/2 pull down and simply project the film at 23.976 frames per second,
doubling some of the frames to get 29.97 frames per second?

   Is anyone currently doing this? (That is telecine directly to DVCPRO
format without storing the image on analog tape (or digital tape with a
incompatible codec)?

   Also is anyone converting Super-16 film with the 1.7778 aspect ratio
to DVCPRO (so the DVCPRO images appear to have anamorphic compression?)

Robert Purser
Technical Editor
Digital Movie News
www.el-dorado.ca.us/~dmnews