Re: ACMED code (ACMADE!!)

Basil

>From your most recent posting, I am starting to think you really have some
sort of an axe to grind against my company, and/or me, that goes way beyond
the subject line.  If that's so, then nothing I say is going to change your
opinion and you may as well skip the rest of this message.  But for those who
did not see my posting to you last night, allow me to recap:

1. When requested, we can and do support Acmade numbers in our video
transfers, as well as anybody in the telecine business can.

2. The numbering systems, coding, and editing methods a particular production
company wishes to use are up to them, not film labs or transfer houses.  We
give production companies the services they come to us for.  This does not
generally include telling them how to run their shows.

3. There are many different film editing methods in use these days.  I do not
presume to know which is best for any particular situation.  I do know that
on the east coast, workprint and mag editing have been largely replaced by
electronic means because we make workprints and mags, among other things, and
those aspects of the business have been declining for several years.  Another
east coast lab recently discontinued workprinting altogether, and as I
pointed out, most manufacturers of mag stock (not to mention dubbers) have
departed the business.  If somebody wishes to edit or screen numbered
workprint and mag, we certainly have no objection!  We've still got
everything needed to help them do it except an Acmade printer, and we'll
gladly rent one if necessary.

The point I just can't seem to get across is that this is no longer a common
style of handling features or anything else, at least on the east coast.
 Also, with the overwhelming majority of telecines in the world located in
Hollywood, how many cut workprints do you really think are shipped
cross-country for video transfers?  So what I simply can't see is how you can
be so judgemental towards colorists and telecine engineers who have been in
the business for years but don't know what Acmade numbers are all about.  For
the most part they work hard to provide whatever film editors ask for, but
they are usually not film editors themselves.

Christopher Bacon
DuArt Video (not just a "video dalies lab")