Re: ACMED code (ACMADE!!)

<< They may not be specifically using an Acmade machine, but I guarantee you
that if they're cutting on film, they are using some type of edge coder
(possibly an older style ink coder, used in Hollywood primarily for preview
coding - if you need an explanation of what that is, I'll be happy to explain
it). They have to -- if you don't, there's no way to keep picture and track
in sync after a cut has been made! >>

It is also possible that they are either syncing in telecine or syncing in
the non-linear system and never making mag track.  On lower-budget films, MOS
dailies have been known to be viewed, and non-linear outputs can be (and
frequently are) used for preview screenings.  In fact, I've even heard of one
cutting room that took the digitized audio from their Avid to a ProTools in a
screening room, so that dailies could be projected with audio and without
mag.

John Portnoy