Re: ACMED code (ACMADE)

Basil Pappas CBS NY  7/4/97 5:52  wrote:

> I find it alarming, to say the least, that one of the most
> prominent labs in this city has no idea how ACMADE ink numbers
> are used in feature film production.

Having a foot on both sides of the fence, may I bring my perspective
to your and Mike's 'alarmed' observations?
As a telecine code reader manufacturer we are doing our best
to properly handle Acmade numbers(1); yet as the AatonCode inventor
we promote in-camera TC recording which makes rubber-numbering
redundant in many of its applications.

 (1) Keylink was for years (still is?) the only machine simultaneously
 handling Acmade and Keycode transfer databases; now - further to
 Jim Mann's request - it will automatically take care of
 Acmade/Mag-Follower non stop transfers.

AatonCode (Aaton/Panavision/Moviecam) brings the many advantages that
Acmade offers, but it eliminates the time consuming rubber
printing, while it automatically syncs the sound.
Thus I am not surprised that a "prominent" N.Y. facility
(see BT's mail below), more exposed to AatonCode transfers
than to the good old rubber numbers, has never had to know of
the Acmade process.

I would like to thank you for your Acmade tutorial
(it's the best I ever read on the subject); it will help a good
many TiG lurkers find out more about this system which has a lot
to offer to edited-print transfer.

--jp

> Bill Topazzio 7/2/97 wrote:
> Maybe so, but this is rarely an occurrence in any commercial
> environment.  Even for dailies, by the time many of the spot
> houses started doing that kind of work, Keykode and Aatoncode
> had become the norms, although I can say I've run across some
> Acmade (maybe half-dozen times in past 10 years).
> -

++
thanks to Gary Shaw of Pacific Video Canada for support of the TIG in 1997