Re: conforming the neg.

>>On 35mm the dots appear every foot, or 16 frames; on 16mm, the
>>dots appear every foot, or 40 frames.
>>

>Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that on 16mm the Keycode dot (or zero
>frame) appears every half foot (or 20 frames).

You are right about 16mm, on 35mm the dot appears every half-foot or 32
perforations.

>Edge codes and Key codes are both actually on the raw stock
>of the negative.  Each contain a dot which occurs just before
>the number, which is usually taken to be the zero frame
>[ie, KD 54 4563 5432 + 00] on the count sheets.  The usual
>step is to make sure that all involved (Editor, Optical Line-
>Up, Negative Cutter) decide that if a dot is absolutely in the
>middle of a frameline, then the one to the (higher number)
>side is the + 00 or zero frame.

Actually there is no way for the dot to fall in the middle of the frameline.
On 35mm the dot is always placed over a perforation and the frameline falls
between the perforations while on 16mm the key numbers fall between the
perforations and the frameline is on the perforation.

This wasn't the case before the film manufactures agreed on a standard. I
would suggest contacting Kodak or Fuji and getting their key number spec
sheet for further information.

This is very important to know when transferring material for a show that
will be conforming the negative. I have had the head punch on the wrong
frame, especially when the dot fell on the 4th perforation. Remember that the
dot can fall on any of the four perforations on 35mm--I'm talking about the
standard formats used for theatrical release.

--Daniel Fort, Assistant Film Editor