Re: automatic filmspeed?

I was in my doctor's office last week, and just happened to pick up a copy
"Camera" magazine (at least that's what I think it was called, as I haven't
seen the publication anywhere else) which had an article that read like an
infomercial on a whole new series of Kodak "Gold" still films.

In this new family are 100, 200, 400, 800, and what they called "automatic,"
which is identified by the fact that it doesn't have a speed printed on the
box!  All of them have wide exposure range -- but the "automatic" film is
allegedly useable anywhere from scratch to ISO 3200.  The article goes on to
say that the film has such a wide range that you can even mix exposures up on
the same roll, for example shoot some frames at 100, then do the rest at 800,
and they'll all come out of the developing machine pretty much the same.
 This is where the notion of an "automatic" film comes from: you're supposed
to get the same results at any speed setting (within reason), which is
another way of saying that the film takes care of it for you.

Not being a film producer, I can't say whether or not this would be a good
feature in a motion picture film.  I guess it would be advantageous in many
ways, and a hinderance to creativity in others.  The article mentioned that
the stuff will be made in regular 35mm and APS sizes, but I didn't see
anything about motion picture stocks.  Knowing the magicians at Kodak,
however, I'd expect that at least some of the same concepts and technology
will be coming to a telecine near you soon!

Christopher Bacon
DuArt Film & Video