RE: URSA Gold/Diamond vs Spirit

Well,

As a user, DoP, I've only done one serious job with Spirit and that blew me away.

The look was much more "filmic" than I'm used to getting with an Ursa, the highlights seemed cleaner and the shadows tracked better.

Hey! whadoikinow?

It looked subjectively much better, I'm trying to push as many of my clients as possible that way, sorry PG :-(

It really does seem to get more out of my neg.

Cheers

Geoff

http://www.saccard.com

On Tuesday, July 01, 1997 9:40 PM, Howie Burch [SMTP:howie at nji.com] wrote:
> This is a response to David Fenton's statement about the rumors re:
> Spirit vs URSA.
>
> We at Nice Shoes, a NYC post shop, own two recent model URSA Golds. We
> plan to upgrade to Diamond whenever practical. Both systems have been
> "TWIggied" and the pictures we produce are nothing less than excellent.
>
> As is often the case in our business, there have been quite a few
> situations when a client comes to us to transfer additional scenes for a
> commercial due to creative changes. In certain cases the original
> transfer was done on a Spirit, due most likely to the fact that there
> are two Spirits in the New York area.
>
> Both our colorists and our clients have been supprised and delighted to
> find that we've had no problem at all matching all parameters of the
> Spirit transfers.
>
> As we are mainly a D-1 house we are able to view and match the original
> transfers in uncompressed component video. We've yet to find any area of
> the transfer that the Spirit beats the URSA, other than perhaps the
> subjective look of the image which I don't care to comment on at this
> time.
>
> We also hear from our clients and through the grape vine that the
> original $2,000 per hour rate for the Spirit has been heavly discounted
> or reduced, sometimes lower than our URSA rates.
>
> Always trying to keep abreast of what's going on in our industry, I'd
> love to hear personal comments and experiences from the TIG Forum
> regarding the Spirit vs URSA, addressing both quality and price. I hope
> this doesn't start up a new flame fight but that it will provide
> information that will help us all.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Howie Burch
> President, Nice Shoes
>
> +++
> thanks to Ricardo Herling at Casablanca in Sao Paulo
> ---
> mailinglist digest available......posting guidelines on the webpage
> http://www.alegria.com/telecinehome.html

+++
Thanks to Colorlab of Maryland for support of the TIG in 1997