Re:Bravo Techinicolor

     Rob,

     The following is a post from the cinematographers mail list which may
     shed some light on the Limited run of dye transfer prints made.  I
     leave it to you to decide whether to post to the TIG or not.

     Rick Anthony
     Duart Film & Video

     <<<Heres the info from clari.biz.industry.media.entertainment.releases
     (usenet):

     BURBANK, Calif.--(ENTERTAINMENT WIRE)--June 19, 1997--Warner
     Bros.' "Batman & Robin" is ready to astound audiences everywhere when
     it opens this week, but a certain group of ticket-holders will have an
     even more unique thrill.
     Selected opening weekend theatergoers in Los Angeles, and later
     in London and New York, will see a print of the movie featuring a new
     and improved version of the Technicolor dye-transfer process that
     makes Gotham City and its inhabitants spring even more intensely to
     life.  For the first time in more than 20 years, a new motion picture
     will be exhibited in the United States that brings to the screen the
     richness and intensity of Technicolor's dye-transfer process.
     One dye-transfer print of "Batman & Robin" will be screened on
     June 20, 21 and 22 at the Mann's Village Theater in Westwood.  On June
     27, 28 and 29, it will be shown at Mann's Chinese Theater in
     Hollywood.  The other print will be used for the international
     premiere of the movie on June 23 in London and will then be flown to
     New York, where it will be screened at the Loew's Astor Midtown on
     June 27, 28 and 29.
     Stated "Batman & Robin" producer Peter Macgregor-Scott:  "We
     already knew that `Batman & Robin' was going to be a feast for the
     eyes and we wanted it to have every advantage in its presentation.
     I remembered the big movies of the 1950s and 1960s and how beautiful
     their colors looked on the screen.
     "When I learned that Technicolor intended to re-introduce the
     dye-transfer process for theatrical use, I urged them to select
     `Batman & Robin' as a perfect subject to re-introduce the process
     technique.
     "We're very pleased that Technicolor was able to provide us with
     two prints made using the dye transfer method, setting a landmark in
     modern film post-production and making a striking film even more
     memorable."
     The dye-transfer process was used until the mid-1970s to give
     films brilliant colors, white whites and rich blacks.  The
     photo-mechanical dye transfer process utilizes three single-color
     records known as matrices, printed directly from the original color
     negative camera film.  Each matrix is dyed and, subsequently, each dye
     is transferred to a single ribbon of print film incorporating all
     colors.
     Stated D. Barry Reardon, president of Warner Bros. Domestic
     Theatrical Distribution, "We think audiences will really notice the
     improvement when they see the remarkable color and richness in `Batman
     & Robin.'  It's always our goal to give our audiences the very best
     in movie-going experiences, so we're proud to be the first to offer
     Technicolor's classic dye-transfer print process on our new movie."
     Stated Ron Jarvis, president of Technicolor:  "The time is right
     to bring the utmost quality back to the screen by exhibiting prints
     made using the dye-transfer process.  It is our goal to make this
     process available for bulk release within the next 12 months.
     "We were pleased to work with the filmmakers of `Batman & Robin'
     to bring dye-transfer technology back to the screen in this limited
     edition, and we look forward to working with other filmmakers to bring
     this beautiful way of reproducing images to the widest possible
     audience in the near future."
     -=-=-

     -Photocon
     Conrad Hunziker III
     copyright 1997  Photocon <Photocon at ix.netcom.com>  cinematography-l>>>

+++
Thanks to Henninger Video for support of the TIG in 1997