web feature? spam foiler

I'm getting tired of receiving up to a dozen or more spam messages per
day in my mailbox, so I've taken a few steps.

I built a new version of smail (a sendmail replacement) that does some
smtp verification checks on connections.  One of these, the HELO
verify, might possibly reject some valid, non-spam mail from sites
with misconfigured DNS (I've heard AOL, to name one big ISP, may
possibly have their DNS wrong).  Basically, with the HELO verify
enabled, any site connecting via smtp must have an A record for their
host in the DNS.  This is required in the RFC's for smtp, so is
'following the rules'.  It will also block 90% of the spam I get.  (An
additional feature of the new smail I've implemented is that it
detects and bounces incoming mail bound for other hosts, 'relayed'
mail, which is the way a lot of spam propagates.)

Anyway, the bottom line is that if you are sending mail to the TIG and
get a bounce message, please let me know.  If you're sending me a
message from a site with misconfigured DNS and can't get through to
me, send the message to 'rob at info.com', where the verification isn't
applied.

The policy of the TIG mailinglist is to deny posting priveleges to any
non-subscribed member, so the spam is effectively blocked from going
out to the list (average 1-2 messages per day blocked).  Many spammers
get their email addresses from webpages-- there are address-harvesting
robots at work day and night, culling and collecting your email
address from the web.  In order to foil these harvesters I've built
and installed an infinitely-linked self-recursive webpage containing
several randomized bogus Internet-style email addresses.  It's at the
bottom of the main TIG webpage as
'http://www.alegria.com/cgi-bin/mailinglists'.  The code (C) is
available at 'http://atlas.comet.net/~jamie/wpoi.html' should you want
to include it on your webpage, which I recommend highly.

regards
--Rob

+++
Thanks to Hans Lehmann and Fred Goodich for support of the TIG in 1997