Re: matting concerns (suppress)

At 05:02 PM 6/22/97 -0700, you wrote:
>I'm called upon occasionally to do transfer of bluescreen or
>greenscreen shots for which I am asked by the compositor (Flame or
>Henry artist) to provide the following for each scene
>1) 'native' color with regard for later matte of the blue or green
>2) matte (hicon)
>3) 'suppress' pass
>4) beauty pass

Rob,

I was asked to provide a similar set of elements last week, sans the
separate beauty pass.  Strange: it was the first time in about two years
anyone has asked for a hicon matte element.

I have used in the past: the DDR method, the Ultimatte method, and in some
simple cases, the DaVinci Key Output for the hicon.  One thing that has
worked well for me is to record the "Native" element directly from the Rank
(colorgrade only), and the "Beauty" element from DaVinci, complete with
primary and secondary color tweaks for the product.  This allows for a
bluescreen with the least noise, and on well-exposed negative, colorgrade
can give enough latitude for adjustment.  Obviously timing is critical, and
you can't really use much, if any, NR on the separate beauty pass.

But...my very minimal understanding of the Fire/Flame is that these boxes
have extensive color correction capability that could easily reproduce a
"matte" and "supress" element from a single full-color film transfer, and
without the hassle of three or four seperate tapes (if recording directly
from film), or multiple passes thru DaVinci (if using a DDR).  After all,
the Fire already is a DDR.

Even if the client is merely going into traditional online, a lot of digital
switchers out there have killer chroma keyers that mimick many of the
handles/filters on the Ultimatte.

It just seems to me that this sort of multiple-element transfer might be
redundant in an all-digital environment.

Comments?

Sam Dlugach

Colorist
EDS Digital Studios