RE>Windows,Layers,Masks...

Interesting post.....hope you don't get too flamed by the evangelists!!
I think it will always be this way.
Manufacturers are just people with their own view on life and how things should be done. We all don't drive the same car...thank god!
Some things such as patents and copyright get in the way of common threads between products. The slightest duplication by another manufacturer and the originator reaches for the lawyers!
I do though understand this as they are protecting their hard work, but it is frustrating as an end user.
I am actually in favor for mix and matching kit. It is a way that post houses can differentiate themselves other than by colourists, in setting up what they feel is the best room. I don't like the "music center approach". It allows companies say like Digital Vision to make a great noise reducer but if they produced a telecine controller it may well suck. It's all about niche skills. Ford don't produce all the components of a car, the tyres are company X, the electric's may be made by say "the dark side" Lucas etc. etc. See my point. I would find the total telecine solution in a box quite boring and rigid. There is a comparison here with say Henry, a fixed total solution and Flame with it's open architecture and third party plug ins.
Some manufacturers seem to be better at different niche points and mess up when they stray out of their depth. I guess we can all think of examples of this.
People get very emotional about their grading systems, I understand this as it is a fundamental tool of the job like a favorite word processor, however , it is not life or death and most systems cover most tools. You can write a novel in any text processor. But,what none of the systems can give is creative ideas or good craft skills which in my humble opinion, is by far the largest variable in a TK transfer.

Paul "Anarchy in the Uk" Grace.

Rushes  at  London - The best Telecine house in the world ;-)

** thanks to Alan Thatcher and Grace & Wild Studios for
contributing to the TIG in 1997