Focus!!

Hi guys,
I have a question I hope someone can answer.
In a recent session on URSA Gold, using the Super 16 gate, I noticed that
the focus was looking soft. I stopped the machine, and proceeded to
adjust focus until I had it as good as it could be. I carried on grading,
but was acutely aware that most shots still looked soft. Eventually our
resident QC boff walked over to the machine and tweaked the focus AS I
WAS IN PLAY........ Well the result was astounding! Suddenly we had great
clean & SHARP pictures!! Does anyone know why there should be such a
big difference? ...Or am I merely displaying my ignorance???