Another PAL Question

I had a discussion today with some gentlemen from RTL in Germany in regards
to what they like and dislike about American telecine transfers. They brought
up an interesting point about monitor calibration.  After I mentioned we
calibrate brightness to 30 footlamberts(and some folks go higher), they said
that EBU standards called for white calibration to 26 footlamberts, which
could be why they think many of our pictures are too dark.
Is this the accepted practice in Europe?  Perhaps some of our European
contributors could indicate at what level they run the monitor, and how that
relates to consumer TV sets. If the sets there are that much darker, perhaps
we should take that into account over here.

David Bernstein
The Post Group West