Re: PAL into NTSC Transfers

David L. Tosh wrote:

> >. . .Just how many people need this sort of capability on
> >a regular basis?  This series of postings is not the first I have heard
> >of this request.
> >
> >Thanks.  Gary Adams
> >

> We often end up in a situation where the audio element, sometimes mag,
> needs to be run at one rate and the video needs to run at another. I'm not
> sure how this happened but we have to deal with it. It may be because we
> have a standards converted video element and need to lay in a new language
> audio track. Having the telecine machine controller able to handle the
> situation would help.
>
> It hadn't occurred to me before to ROL the suorce deck. Worth a try.
>
> --- David Tosh  dlt at earthlink.net
> --- Video Engineer, Complete Post, Hollywood
>
> **thanks to Steve Harman, Lorne Miess, Mel Wunder, and Richard Cassel
> for support of the TIG in 1997
> ---
> mailinglist digest available......posting guidelines on the webpage
> http://www.alegria.com/telecinehome.html

This question of PAL to NTSC is of great interest to us here in Thailand.
Along with our key competitors, we have established a reputation for the
best post-production in the region, and as a consequence we're now
beginning to attract a lot of interest from the Japanese because of the
huge cost differential -- but they broadcast in NTSC and most of the
other countries around here use PAL.  Now, the theory is that it
shouldn't make any difference to our URSA Gold/Da Vinci Renaissance setup
-- but is it really as easy as changing a few settings on the machine?
We plan to do a test, but fitting it in to our schedules hasn't been
easy, so any feedback from those who have swapped formats before
(particularly any who may do it on a regular basis) would be extremely
useful.

Thanks

Mark Kovalevsky
Loxley Video Post