Re: 24 F.P.S. and PAL

Subject:     Re: 24 F.P.S. and PAL
Sent:        05/20/97 7:48 PM
To:          Spence Burton, sburton at henninger.com

>Where does the 4% speed up of the film come from? If the film is shot and
>transfered to PAL at 25 fps in the 60 hz environment (before the Avid
>load in 50 hz environment), won't the action appear to take place at the
>same speed on video as it did on film?
>  I thought the 4% speed up came when transfering at 25fps film that was
>shot at 24fps. Am I missing something?

Ooops!  Correctimundo!

Right you are Spence, the 4% speed up mentioned in the 3rd paragraph in
fact only occurs in method #2.  I am at a loss as to why I mentioned it.
Thanks for pointing it out!

>  Also, do you have any insight into the question of what happens to a
>tape that is recorded on a PAL deck referenced to 60hz that is then
>played back on a PAL deck referenced to 50hz? No change? Or do you have
>control track problems.
>Thanks for your time.
>Spence Burton

I am unfamiliar with this method, and I don't believe that it is
possible; comments anyone?  It does seem as though you may be trying to
understand a concept.  Could you try posing the question differently?

Tim Bond

This Email address is shared by the Bond home, so please put the
RECIPIENT'S NAME within the MESSAGE BODY for proper routing.

***
thanks to Frank Sparano and Don Ver Ploeg for support of the
Telecine Internet Group in 1997