RE: 3 Perf ...again

Could sombody put me right as to what aspect ratio 3 perf gives you ?
I assume you gents in the US crop the image to 4:3 for Television but my
calculator tells me 3 perf should be 16:9 for the whole image.
Thanks and keep up the amusing and informative interchange.

Film doesn't "give" you an aspect ratio, you compose to whatever aspect ratio you intend. "Full Frame" 3 perf is approximately 1.77:1 (16:9). In the U.S., a centered extraction of 1.33 is usually used for transfer.

Mike Most, Encore Video, L.A.

***
thanks to Frank Sparano and Don Ver Ploeg for support of the
Telecine Internet Group in 1997