3 Perf ...again

Could sombody put me right as to what aspect ratio 3 perf gives you ?
I assume you gents in the US crop the image to 4:3 for Television but my
calculator tells me 3 perf should be 16:9 for the whole image.
Thanks and keep up the amusing and informative interchange.

Rob - On the basis that you post, you pay, how best to pay ?

***
thanks to Frank Sparano and Don Ver Ploeg for support of the
Telecine Internet Group in 1997