Re: Re; Spirit in London

Seamus O'Kane wrote:

> Ken asked re the Spirit at VTR,
>
>   >>  would you care to comment on
>   >>such things as client acceptance and will to pay the extra money
>
> Hi Ken,
>
> Sorry for the delay but we had a holiday weekend here. Thanks
> for inviting me to reply on such an low interest subject!
>
> I think it is very difficult to say anything about this machine and still
> remain "down to earth " and your questions, especially with regard
> to Client acceptance, aim straight at the crux of the ownership
> question, ie will anybody pay for it?
>
> Our experiences so far, (and we have not had that long to
> market the new room), suggest that a),  they will, and b),  they
> notice why they are being asked to pay almost 100 per cent more
> even at standard TV resolution.
>
> We took delivery of the Spirit with all three output standards but
> we had always intended that the delivery of fully graded Data to
> a film resolution workstation would be the backbone of its work.
> Therefore, although our demos to Clients are primarily to introduce
> this concept and working practice, it is inevitable that the StandardDef
> picture is examined and it is here that we have been most pleased by
> the Client reaction.
>
> There is no point in hiding the fact that we do split screens with our
> own Ursa Golds as this is almost the first request from Clients who
> have just finished a session in one of those suites. They are also
> arriving with D1's and Neg rolls from jobs that have not been finished
> at VTR and asking for the same comparison. It must be remembered
> that we, ie the members of this TIG, have had well over a year to argue
> the validity of this, whilst our Clients have had six weeks contact with
> the machine but also have the most vested interest in the results
> as they are going to have to pay the hourly rate.
>
> They notice a range of differences which together add up to an image
> that is different from our Golds. The range of colour and the purity of the
> image are most commented on. The fact that they are booking the room
> on the basis of what they see is encouraging as also is their willingness
> to pay the full rate. They see the Spirit as giving them a quality at a
> price
> which is proportional to the size of their project. Thus I have graded with
> Clients in an Ursa one day and in the Spirit the next and as the policy
> here is that Clients can book any Colorist and any telecine we are pushing
> a wide range of styles and projects through the room.
>
> The fact that we have time for these tests quite rightly suggests that the
> room is not yet fully booked. It would be foolish of me to brag that it
> was.
> However in six weeks we have gone from nothing to at least one or
> two bookings a day, the majority of which are at full rate. We all have the
> ability to favour individual clients in this "honeymoon" period, as it is a
> [...]

Dear  Seamus,

If you already have a full infrastucture for your Data output on the
Spirit, would it be too much to ask about the hardware, software and
network configuration you have choosen.

Thank you in advance,

Regards.

--
Michel Suissa
Director of visual effects
msthd at idt.net
michel at tapehouse.com
http://www.tapehouse.com/

***
thanks to Frank Sparano and Don Ver Ploeg for support of the
Telecine Internet Group in 1997