Re: From the other side

In a message dated 97-05-15 20:25:34 EDT, Steven Gladstone writes:

> However, the Image is not yours.

I've been waiting for someone to say this, and I'm glad it was a DP who said
it first. As much as we like to think of ourselves as artists, and to a large
extent we are, our true purpose as colorists is to provide a service to our
clients. It is a colorists responsibility to render a film image onto a video
medium in any such manner as the client may desire. Often this is a
collaborative process, and the colorist is free to express his or her
creative opinions, or allowed(or encouraged) to experiment. But often it is
our task merely to reproduce to the best of our abilities the creative intent
of others. I don't consider it my place to force my will upon any paying
customer.
I will offer opinions and guidance when asked, and allow the client to make
his own decisions about what looks right to him. That to me is the definition
of service, and that is what I was taught to provide.

David Bernstein
The Post Group(West)