Re: what's so hard?

> Date:          Thu, 15 May 1997 03:02:03 -0400 (EDT)
> Subject:       Re: what's so hard?
> From:          Phil Voss <sagepunk at mindspring.com>
> To:            telecine at sun.alegria.com

> Christopher Bacon wrote on 5/14/97:
>
> >Pop quiz:  If you were color correcting a film and you threw in everything,
> >including the kitchen sink, to bring to life an image that was entirely
> >"yours," what would you do if the clients said they didn't like it, it
> wasn't
> >what they wanted (for whatever reason), and would you mind making it into
> >something different?

.  My answer would
> be (a) with an explanation.  I'd store that correction in a scratch pad,
> then go back to the base mem and talk them through a whole new correction,
> steering them toward the direction I wanted to go in while compromising a
> little in their direction (making them feel that their input was most
> important).   If that didn't work, then I would bring out the wrenches and
> screwdrivers and give them what they want.
>
> Phil Voss
> Blue Water Post

	I just would like  to give my personnal opinion about this: After
listening to what the client wants I always go my way but keeping in
mind that they are clients, I usually get along well with directors
because they are artists who know what looks good and creative and
what doesn't, agencies often try to stop us half way because they
have to justify the look to their client and he is the one who pays
at the end, but a good colorist must know how to sell his work like
an artist, all of this might sound pretentious but if you keep
grading the way your clients want you to do, it becomes impossible to
go "the extra mile". Look at the situation know, you find a great
idea on a music video, three months after they want the same look on
their commercial, which would have scared everyboby three months
before, two years ago everyboby hated green, one day some people
started to make green skies, green skin tones, green blacks, now
everybody wants green, even when it does not suit at all.
	Recently, in a session a director was saying to the agency about the
grading: "this is art and art should not be discussed, if you touch
it I leave". Well, even if this one was making a big deal about the
grading of his film, I must say he was right in some way.

	JC
	Colorist.

The Moving Picture Company
25 Noel Street