Re: what's so hard?

Christopher Bacon wrote on 5/14/97:

>Pop quiz:  If you were color correcting a film and you threw in everything,
>including the kitchen sink, to bring to life an image that was entirely
>"yours," what would you do if the clients said they didn't like it, it
wasn't
>what they wanted (for whatever reason), and would you mind making it into
>something different?

>(a) Work with the client to try to find out what they **are** looking for,
>and then do your best to create it, even if the results look inferior to
you;

>(b) Browbeat the clients into shutting up and letting you do it your way by
>dropping famous names you've worked with, big-deal projects you've been in
>on, and all the credits you've gotten;
>
>(c) Send the clients and their silly film to the "mechanic" down the hall
who will make it look any way they want.

I would have to agree with both Chris Bacon and Rob Lingelbach that the
value of experience reigns supreme when it comes to being a great colorist,
and I got a good belly laugh from Chris's pop quiz, especially the part
about sending that client to the "mechanic down the hall".  My answer would
be (a) with an explanation.  I'd store that correction in a scratch pad,
then go back to the base mem and talk them through a whole new correction,
steering them toward the direction I wanted to go in while compromising a
little in their direction (making them feel that their input was most
important).   If that didn't work, then I would bring out the wrenches and
screwdrivers and give them what they want.

Phil Voss
Blue Water Post