Re: Windows, layers and masks

>>My only concern about this thread is that it might get into a "mines
better than >>yours" deal
I have deliberately tried to avoid this.- and concentrate on what I see as
the differences. As we all know this is difficult unless you are equally
proficient on more than one system which I am not.

>> So this now begs the question, why has windowing taken so long to get a
hold?
My impression is that it HAS taken hold and those that have the capability
in any form use it regularly and take it for granted. But all manufacturers
are making it better and better

>> I don't follow the  difference, on a 2d screen what would the approach
difference be?
Let try to explain it another way. The inside the window and the outside
the window corrections both get the same source. As I understand it, in a
layering system a higher layer becomes the source of a lower layer
Until now although the daVinci window system has many advantages, the
situation where the thing you wish to window passes/is behind something
else was more difficult deal with than on those systems that user layers.
da Vinci windows are at present transparent, so using 2 windows is like
filtering 2 lights on the set. Where the 2 lights meet, both filters act.
There are no barn doors. The transparency is often desireable and a
strength of windows, but the "barn doors", masking or whatever is also
desireable hence EDWIN

>>>Edwin, the new da Vinci hardware option...is there anything new
there...?
It is very new to da Vinci Windows. It means for starters that the problem
above of tracking a window behind a foreground object is no longer an
issue. Now windows can be applied as transparent or as a mask. Also the
application of windows is further simplified, and although the interface
was not on show at NAB, I believe that Edwin will save still more time in
sessions - for both the colorist and other players in the post chain as you
say.Generating windows as vectors and being able to track each point is
also new. It means shapes can change dynamically from anything to anything.

>>frankly saw no great difference in speed of operation of either a Pogle
or anything >>else ONCE you got used to it
It is true - actual speed depends on the operator. But I stick by my point
that simpler is inherently faster, and that windows are simpler than
layers. But this is a personal opinion - to which I am entitled :-)

>>Generally all good ideas get copied in one way or another, isn't
windowing/layering a >>good idea?
It must be a good idea because everyone is doing it.

Kevin Shaw      (Freelance Colorist, Consultant and Instructor)
    E-mail:         kevs at online.rednet.co.uk
http://home.rednet.co.uk/homepages/kshaw/index.htm
Kanvas Film and Video Ltd            Phone/Fax:  +44 (0)7000-227854

***
thanks to Sam Dlugach, Dean Humphus, & Clark Bierbaum
for support of the TIG in 1997