TLC Timecode Counter

Bob Lovejoy Wrote:

 One thing I found was that I have no idea whatsoever as to how to
make the time code on the TLC's telecine line to match the film
counter.  For that matter, the time code counter on the Spirit
doesn't always match the daVinci's.

Bob:  There are several "timecode" display modes on the TLC and the 888
which are user defined.  One of these will match any other divice like
the Spirit, while others conform to different counting schemes.

The TLC counter may be set to display HH:MM:SS+FF which is similar to
the 888 and the Spirit which counts in 24fps.  This display mode is
identified by the plus "+" sign in the count.  In the TLC, this counter
will track the 888 and the Spirit when running at 24fps.  At other
speeds, this count will follow the speed rather than turn over at
24fps.  In newer software we will allow you to lock the TLC to 24fps
matching other products, including the 888.

The TLC also has a "video" timecode mode which is displayed in
HH:MM:SS:FF.field mode.  This timecode can relate to video tape
timecode and counts in 30fps along with the video.  This mode is
different than most other products and is set by the TLC Sync Point.
The Sync Point is a single keystroke assignment which relates any film
count of your choice to any video timecode of your choice.  This is
covered in the manual.  There is enough flexibility to make any count
scheme work for your application.  Flexibility does come with some
complications, though.

If the above is confusing to you, don't feel alone.  It is to others as
well as myself, but onced understood, should give you the results you
need to get the job done.

Hang in there.  Gary Adams

***
thanks to Tim Ready, Terry Wickre, Frank Rodriquez, and Lou Levinson
for support of the TIG in 1997