An Epiphany of Sorts

     They say every nexus has a crisis, or perhaps it's the otherway
around, but there comes a point in a major transition where the
impact is suddenly felt.  That would probably be today.
     It was an ordinary enough kind of day for a week in which
upheaval and intensity are common.  Minor bug workouts, the
occasional tweak, and fountains of information.  Suddenly it was
after 5pm, and folks were starting to leave.  Before I knew it the
training phase was just about over.  I had been exposed to a ton of
information, and now with Jim MacKrell of daVinci returning to the
arms of his family, I stand alone, faced with the responsibility of
operating an awesome investment of incredibly powerful technology.
Half of me is screaming "I'm not ready" while the other half is
eagerly anticipating that first session.
     Now Jim was a great teacher.  He took me through all the
features, menus, quirks and shortcuts he could find.  I was given a
thorough explanation of the machine.  Suddenly he was on his way
home, and I was alone in the new suite with - a deep feeling.
     I stepped outside and a storm was coming up.  Lightening flashed
in the distance, than closer as thunderclaps boomed.  No sooner was I
turning out of the driveway that marble-size hail began to fall.  By
the time I got home, the hail had passed through downpour into
drizzle.  On my lawn were hundreds of glassine marbles, hail that had
dropped minutes ago on a 72 degree day.
     I went inside, still awed by the feeling I had alone in the
suite coupled by the storm, and in a few moments the light outside
changed drastically.  The grey was replaced by an intense
yellow-green, and we stepped out to the deck.  Looking up at the sky,
we beheld the most amazing sight:  Bright puffy yellow clouds of
shapes rarely seen in these parts, between which the sky, the deep
blue electric dark color-the-likes-of-which-I've-never-seen sky is
peeking through.  My younger son said, "Now this is the work of the
greatest colorist in the Universe" and I broke into tears.  All the
pressure went away, I knew nobody, no thing could ever top the color
I was seeing all around me, and I felt for the first time that this
was the very beginning of something new.
     Tomorrow I report for work to finish training on the telecine
end, to cross the final t's and dot the i's, and mostly to practise.
The company is unveiling the suite to its employees tomorrow evening,
and I shall do my best to run the system through its paces for them.
In the meantime, I suspect I'll have a very peaceful sleep tonight.
Now what day of the week is tomorrow?

     Thanks to all of you for letting me share this experience.
Somehow it's very therapeutic for me to sit behind this keyboard and
organize my thoughts.  This has been a most amazing week for me...

Bob Lovejoy

***
thanks to Rob Randall, Stan Dickinson, Michel Suissa, and Jeff
Heusser for support of the TIG in 1997