Re: Re[2]: Tail Slates and Timecode

drom at duart.com wrote:
>One of the big issues is education of crews in use of the
> system. Too many go out in the field not sure what to do and the problems
> occur.

The camera rental facility I work for (I don't have much to do with TK,
but I've learnt so much about Post by lurking on this list !) INSISTS
that not only the camera crew, but the post production team all come
together for a half day of training in use of Aatoncode on a big
project.  We do this to not only make sure that the crew can use the
system, but we're also able to work out a strategy that suits the
particular production and is satisfactory to all the departments
involved.  Some like to use slate ID's, some want Timcode slates for
back-up etc.

We had a drama production recently that was using Aatoncode, and was
running particularlt well.  Several weeks in the camera assistant had to
take a week off for personal reasons, and another Camera assistant was
hired for the week.  Well of course, they hadn't been at the original
training session and didn't really know the correct practises when using
timecode.  The assistant took the battery off at lunch to prevent any
accidental shooting of the inside of the camera truck.  Once back from
lunch they continued shooting, and shot a couple of takes before the
assistant remebered that he had to re-initialse the camera.

I guess you've already said it, but the key is education of the crew.
Timecode maintenece in the field is the responsobility of the assistant,
just the same as they are responsable for looking after the film stock
and not leaving it in the Sun.

Thanks for all the great information, I'm going back to lurk in the
shadows.....

John Brawley