Re: Tail slates - make every frame a slate

Phil Voss of Blue Water Post writes
>Recently I've been encountering a lot of negative with tail slates, and
>it's been
>giving me enormous headaches......... it's very time consuming and
>cumbersome, and I
>would welcome any and all suggestions as to how I might handle this problem
>more efficiently.

Dear Phil,
Get your customers to shoot with AATONCODE so every frame has a slate on it
- no more spooling around your negative to find that illusive sync mark.
AatonCode combined with the new InstantSync option for the Aaton Keylink
will be the ultimate answer with colourists being able to almost totally
concentrate on the picture while the sound syncs itself automatically
without any pre roll delays.

Regards

John Boring
LEMAC AUSTRALIA

Please all, forgive me as this is my first posting to this group, and I'm a
little nervous about it.  We all want to sound so smart, etc.  I have a
question for anyone who can give me some advice on this issue.  Recently
I've been encountering a lot of negative with tail slates, and it's been
giving me enormous headaches.  My method of dealing with goes as follows:  I
mark the film and the sound at the tail slate on the TLC, then I enter the
film in as the out on the black line, then I shuttle back to the beginning
of the take, and mark the film counter as the in on the black line, I take
the resulting duration and trim that value from the the film in and the
sound in.  It works, but it's very time consuming and cumbersome, and I
would welcome any and all suggestions as to how I might handle this problem
more efficiently.

Since I was unable to attend NAB this year, it's been with great interest
that I've been reading all the postings on the TIG about it.  This group is
great resource of info, productive conflict, and a great deal of humor.  Rob
deserves a ton of credit and support for starting and maintaining it.

OK., I guess that wasn't too bad for my first posting. <beads of sweat
rolling down my forehead>.

Phil Voss
Blue Water Post

John Bowring  jbowring at lemac.com.au
Lemac Film & Video, Australia
Phone +61 3 9429 8588 Fax +61 3 9428 3336