State of the TIG - Post NAB

I think reports of the death of lively discussion on the TIG are premature.

I have noticed a lag time in the past two years after NAB in the number of
posts to the group. That pretty much matches my energy level after my
return (and I only spent two days there!)

I am still working out what I think about some of the things I did see. I
missed some things I should have seen and missed some things I wanted to
see and didn't have any time to look for the fun stuff lurking in the
small, first-time booths.

If I say that I was not impressed by the things I saw I don't know if that
says more about being jaded with nearly two decades of shows or just
reflects the bad head-cold I brought back with me.

(Is it really such a good idea to go out of you way to mingle with germs,
up close and personal, from around the world? To stand elbow-to-elbow in a
crowd and try to extract the greater truth out of the presentations (that
you happen to catch) ? )

I did have a really thorough discussion about the state of the Phillips'
Spirit in the demo suite. It turned out I was the only one there shortly
after noon on the last day and I feel that I was able to ask anything that
concerned me and receive detailed responses. I also had time to make up my
own mind concerning the balance to salesmanship and technical information
that was available. I came away with enough understanding of what was
possible and what was real to feel pretty well informed.

I had less of a chance to come away satisfied with the facts available on
Cintel's C-Reality (but I did get a neat flashlight!)

OK, here's the beef:

I think Spirit is the only workable (billable) source for high definition
transfer in the next two years. I excude any device that doesn't scan at
around a thousand vertical lines. There is nothing wrong with the picture
and the system. There are several really nice features of the telecine. I
have no opinion on the price- my boss has to figgure that one out.

Cintel's efforts in bringing the Jabba to the show are very encouraging. If
they can keep up the effort, I expect some real excitement in the next few
years. Not this year and not next year. I think it is a mistake to commit
to developing internal color correction at the launch of the product. I
think the new machine and my own interests would be best served by defining
open access to the data stream in its nearly raw form. I see this as
creating a great amount of leverage at no cost to the company. Let two or
three third party folks see how creative they can be to enhance your new
product at no great amount of investment on your own part. Keep "control"
by defining the hooks and interface and let competition enhance the
perception of your product.

If Sony is serious about selling a telecine to our community, they will
need to invite us to see and taste a product that looks like it could be
marketable. Cintel showed me the effort I ask, I did not have time to
sleuth out the Sony thing. Opinion: At least two years to delivery to any
non-captive post-production group. At least two years of actual experience
by our community to know if the product is on target. No doubt that Sony
can put muscle behind development and sales but that doesn't meen that it
will suit our purpose.

Cintel, Phillips, what can you do with another two years lead-time?

( Insert standard disclaimer here )

--- David Tosh  dlt at earthlink.net
--- Video Engineer, Complete Post, Hollywood

***
thanks to David Gustafson of CFI & Drew Marsh of Filmworkers Club
for supporting the Telecine Internet Group in 1997