Spirit: Lamps changing/options

I'd like to add my 2 cents' worth on some questions raised in the last few days.
Please remember I work for Philips on the Spirit project.
**********
1- Lamp changes: Two issues here.  One, customers are routinely getting much
more life than we first told them they would get.  Our initial estimate was to
budget for a lamp at 1,000 hours.  All of the machines are well beyond this.
The current "record" is 5,900 hours, at which point the lamp did finally fail.
Your mileage may vary, of course.

As the lamp ages there is no shift in color spectrum, only the efficiency goes
down (i.e. you need more amps of current for the same light intensity).  The
system was designed for sufficient headroom at the end of lamp life, so this
poses no problems.

Second, the idea that you "need" to change the entire lamp housing when you
replace the lamp: not true.  Of course you can change just the lamp, and to do
so the turnaround time is about 10 to 15 minutes.  If that is not fast enough,
then you can have, as a spare, an entire lamp house preloaded with a new lamp.
Using this approach the turnaround time is about two minutes.  In either case
the only calibration or alignment required is to FPN the machine.  This takes
about one minute.  After a lamp change base mems and old sessions will recall
exactly as they should (Exactly.  Quote, unquote.).
**********
Now, on the data and rotation options.  These are both finished and released.
They have been delivered in small quantities to America (as of this writing four
macines Stateside have data, and two have rotation).  I am going to Germany
right after NAB to bone up on these two items, and when I return I will be
installing the rest of them as quickly as my customers will let me in to do it.

I hope this has been helpful.

Carl Van Camp
Technical Support
Spirit DataCine
Americas

---
mailinglist digest available......advertising *not* on this list; post
marketing-oriented messages to 'telecine-announce at alegria.com' after
making the required support contribution..inquiries to rob at alegria.com