Re: Phillip Kotter (Gamma & Density) and J P Beauviala exchanges on TIG.

I feel I must take issue with some of Phillip Kotters statements.

>Not only does each lab have it's own TP for the same LAD negative, but
each<
> printer has it's own also.<

I spent many years, a long time ago I admit, installing Bell & Howell
printers and Hazeltine analysers and never did each printer have it's own
printer point settings.  Unless the world has changed each printer had a
TRIM setting that ensured all printers in a particular lab operated at the
same printer point values for any particular printing stock.

Therefore, I believe while each lab may have it's own printer values they
are common to all it's printers.

>If IRE(r)=41, IRE(g)=46, IRE(b)=43, then it transforms to TP (printing)
light 25. Are <
> you serious about using this number for printing....<

While Kodak did not intend the transfer points to equate to printer points
the Cintel TKG transforms the telecine front end signal directly to
transfer points, the output video IRE is irrelevant and the TP's can be
used for ANY lab printer point data as part of TKGWIN software allows the
default centre valued to be individually set for RGB between 1 and 50
rather than just 25 across, and be assured TP's step relationships are the
same as printer points, 0.025 log (exposure) each.

With other system's TP's the values can equally be converted to printer
values for lab use by diffing the results from 25 across and then adding
the results to the labs standard.   Maybe more cumbersome but certainly
possible.

As JPB suggests exposure feedback is a major step forward itself.

Lab data capabilities add further to this major step forward.

Peter Swinson

---
mailinglist digest available......advertising *not* on this list; post
marketing-oriented messages to 'telecine-announce at alegria.com' after
making the required support contribution..inquiries to rob at alegria.com