rawstock specific conversion tables

Phillip Kotter wrote:

>  Dear Mr. Bruyere,
>  We would like to add a "few good" notes ...del...
>  Where can you find rawstock specific look-up tables except
>  in the situation when transfer facilities equipped with an
>  Aaton Keylink digital keyer on their Cintel or Philips
>  telecines and *GreyFinder* software. In the User's manual
>  for the just released Telecine Exposure Calibration Film
>  such a table is not mentioned anywhere;
The Kodak TEC Film User's Guides DOES mention conversion
tables on page 6, step 3: "Using the appropriate TEC film
conversion table or an automatic reading system, record the
corresponding transfer points for the dailies report."
A set of conversion tables is provided in the Kodak Telecine
Tool Kit and the Cinematographer's Tool Kit.

>   and to our best knowledge,  the Kodak Cinematographer's
>   Tool kit is not avilable yet.
The Cinematographer's Tool kit IS available, but DPs don't
even have to spend a dime to immediately
beneficiate of the TEC exposure control system;
suffice for them to shoot a good old 18%
gray card  --the one they all use with their Spectra
or Minolta photometer--, then to have their film transferred
in a facility using the Kodak Telecine Calibration Kit.

The beauty of the three-density TEC film system is that it
transforms any telecine into a photographic densitometer
by using only two reference films:
ONE for cine color negatives (Vision, EXR, ECN, and Fuji),
and ONE for low-contrast films (PrimeTime style).
Two 35, two 16... that is something facility accountants
will appreciate, video engineers will love and colorists
will adore.

>   If IRE[r]=41, IRE[b]=46 and IRE[g]=43, then it transforms
>   to TP(printing) light 25.  Are you serious about using
>   this number for printing of dailies or answer prints?
>   Not only does each lab have its own TP for the same
>   LAD negative, but each printer has its own also.
Aaton is NOT recommending that telecine TP (transfer point,
not printing light as you wrote) be used as printer lights.
The relationship between PARTICULAR timing values at a given lab
and the transfer points which are UNIVERSAL can have a number
of factors involved. Each printer is different (age of the
light source, set-point of each light valve), and the
relationship will change lab to lab to account for
process differences.
Add to this any print stock variability and printing
preferences by the timer/cinematographers, it would be dangerous
to try to make any hard and fast correlation between
transferring and printing. That's why we write in our leaflets:
  }These TP's can be used as printer lights (timing values)
  }provided the small difference between the video transfer
  }points and the final timing values is first established
  }between *the* transfer facility and *the* printing lab.

Anyway, this is not the most important aspect about the TEC
system.  Getting exposure feedback on a routine basis
-- be it window inserts, transfer lists or webslates --
is a major step forward by itself.

Best regards,

** You should have a look at the "Kodak Telecine Tools available"
in the telecine-announce Digest V97 #16
Jean-Pierre Beauviala                       http://www.aaton.com